Sexual immorality – lust, perversion, masturbation, pornography, fornication, sex dreams, etc. – we’ve all experienced it in one form or the other. Earlier on in my walk with the Lord, I have personally dealt with sexual immorality in different ways. Although I remained a virgin until marriage, I dealt with lust and masturbation which of course led to sex dreams and fantasies. I had to first acknowledge that it was a problem and that it was a sin before God before I could be delivered from it. Even though I wasn’t having sex, it was still not pleasing to God. My deliverance came in many stages and it took A LOT of self-denial. There were times where it seemed like I took 2 steps forward only to go 4 steps back. It was tough and it took some time for me to fully get free, but I did eventually get free by the grace of God.
There came a point that I got sick and tired of getting beat up by the enemy and giving in to my flesh, so I started to deal with the issue head-on. One of the main things that helped me to overcome was finding Bible verses about the topic and using them to fight. I would write them down, memorize them, meditate on them, and recite them especially when the temptation arose. I learned to war with the word of God and pray the word of God over my mind, my emotions, my body, my soul, and against the fiery darts of the enemy. Some days the battle was so intense that I would have to recite them to myself while looking at myself in the mirror. There were even times that I would have to recite them every day, several times a day, and especially before bed.
I had to learn what my triggers were, I learned that I was most tempted at certain times of the day and at certain times of the month (based on my cycle). By arming myself with the word of God I made myself ready for when the thoughts popped up or when the enemy came at me. It put me in a position to be able to quickly defend myself when the enemy came and to be armed even before he came.
If you struggle with sexual immorality, don’t be ashamed – FIGHT! The enemy wants you to be tied down with guilt and shame instead of fight. The enemy doesn’t want you to realize the POWER that you have. I encourage you to fight with the word. The Bible tells us that the weapons that God gives us to fight with are not carnal (fleshy, material, earthly, worldly), and they are mighty to pull down strongholds (fortress, tower). So, if you want to win the spiritual battles that you are facing, you will have to fight with the spiritual weapons that God has given you – one of those weapons is THE WORD OF GOD.
I encourage you to write these verses down in a notebook and/or on index cards, memorize them and use them when those crazy thoughts come or when temptation comes knocking at your door. Also, search out God’s word for yourself for more verses that will help with your particular situation.
Through Christ we are VICTORIOUS!
- Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. – 2 Timothy 2:22 (NKJV)
- For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled. – 2 Corinthians 10:4-6 (KJV)
- Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed. – John 8:36 (NKJV)
- And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. – Galatians 5:24 (NKJV)
- Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. – Ephesians 6:14-17 (NIV)
- No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. – 1 John 3:9 (NIV)
- Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God. – 2 Corinthians 7:1 (NIV)
- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. – Matthew 5:8 (NIV)
- “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.” – 1 Peter 2:24 (NIV)
- If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. – 1 John 1:9 (NIV)
- I can do all this through him who gives me strength. – Philippians 4:13 (NIV)
- As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us. – Psalm 103:12 (NKJV)
- Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. – Romans 8:37 (NKJV)
- Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you. – Luke 10:19 (NKJV)
- No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. – 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NKJV)
- I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. – Galatians 5:16, 22 (NKJV)
- Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. – Galatians 5:1 (NKJV)
- I will set nothing [a]wicked before my eyes; I hate the work of those who fall away; It shall not cling to me. – Psalm 101:3 (NKJV)
- In the day of my trouble I will call upon You, for You will answer me. – Psalm 86:7 (NKJV)
- Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires. – Song of Solomon 8:4 (NIV)
- Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. – 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NIV)
8 thoughts on “Bible Verses for Overcoming Sexual Sin”
thank you for posting this. I have been looking for some tools to help my husband overcome his obsession with sinful sexual activity. i am sure this will help a lot.. God bless you !!!
You’re welcome! The Word is our best weapon against the enemy.
I’m currently battling sexual sin. It has really took a toll on my life. I was molested as a child and I’m a retired Veteran who suffered severe trauma in Iraq. Thank you for posting this. I will recite these daily!
God bless you for the compilation of these Bible verses for war against sexual sins and thoughts. I am really touched by The Bible Verses and your testimony. Very encouraging which will help me and many others. There is something I want to ask or discuss with you but via email. This is about outward Holiness.
Please you can reach me on my email below. Thanks and God bless.
Thanks Deborah, you have just mentioned what I am going through right now actually I thought I was struggling here alone, it is such comforting to know there is someone out here understands you completely. Thanks alot for the verses and the article. Thanks a bunch
I thank God for your life dear Deborah…. this words are insightful and power. I am single lady, sexually attracted to a married man. I have been struggling with lust especially during my ovulating. I will study this words day and night.
Praise God! Don’t give in to those temptations. Sin never leads to anything good and according to God’s word, you will reap whatever you sow. God will give you a way of escape. God bless you.