Identity is defined as the fact of being who or what a person or thing is, the distinguishing character or personality of an individual.
It’s very important that we know, understand, and are rooted in our identity as children of God. The identity of a thing speaks to the nature (characteristics) and the source of that thing. Our identity as children of God distinguishes us as people who are godly (nature) and people who belong to God (source).
When we don’t understand our identity in Christ, we will take on false identities and therefore live in a way that contradicts who God says we are. Since many believers don’t know their identity in Christ and are still holding on to false identities from their past, they have a hard time walking in the new man, they have a hard time believing what God says about them in His Word. Knowing your identity in Christ is the difference between living as a victim vs. living victoriously; it’s the difference between living as an orphan vs. living like an heir.
Any identity that we have that does not line up with our new identity in Christ must be cut off. This can only happen through the Word of God. Ephesians 6:17 tells us that the Word of God is a sword, it is one of our weapons of warfare. God has given us this weapon so we can cut off anything that is not like Him. Hebrews 4:12 also lets us know that “the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword.” To understand your identity as a child of God, you have to turn to the Word of God. Scripture is full of verses about who we are in Christ and the benefits of being children of God. If you don’t study the Word to learn your identity as a son, you will continue to believe the lies about who the world says you are.
Below are a few Bible verses about our identity in Christ. If you struggle with identity, I encourage you to write down these verses on index cards, memorize them, meditate on them regularly, and declare them over yourself. Ask God to help you cut off all false identities you have believed and to receive your new identity in Him. Ask Him to give you new eyes to see yourself as He does.
I’ve also added identity statements for each verse that you can declare over yourself.
God has made you into a new creation, so walk confidently as His child.
- Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. – 2 Corinthians 5:17 (AMP)
Identity Statement: I am a new creation in Christ, my old nature has passed away.
- I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. – Galatians 2:20 (NKJV)
I have been crucified with Christ [that is, in Him I have shared His crucifixion]; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body I live by faith [by adhering to, relying on, and completely trusting] in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. – Galatians 2:20 (AMP)
Identity Statement: I have been crucified with Christ, it is Christ who lives in me now, my old self has died in Him.
- So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. – Genesis 1:27 (NKJV)
Identity Statement: I have been created in the image of God.
- But as many as received Him, to them He gave the ]right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. – John 1:12-13 (NKJV)
But to as many as did receive and welcome Him, He gave the right [the authority, the privilege] to become children of God, that is, to those who believe in (adhere to, trust in, and rely on) His name— who were born, not of blood [natural conception], nor of the will of the flesh [physical impulse], nor of the will of man [that of a natural father], but of God [that is, a divine and supernatural birth—they are born of God—spiritually transformed, renewed, sanctified]. – John 1:12-13 (AMP)
Identity Statement: I am a child of God; God has given me the right to be His child.
- But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy. – 1 Peter 2:9-10 (NKJV)
Identity Statement: I am a chosen generation, I am a royal priesthood, I am God’s special person who has been called out of darkness into His light.
- For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. – Ephesians 2:10 (NKJV)
For we are God’s [own] handiwork (His workmanship), [d]recreated in Christ Jesus, [born anew] that we may do those good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us [taking paths which He prepared ahead of time], that we should walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us to live]. – Ephesians 2:10 (AMP)
Identity Statement: I am God’s workmanship; I have been created to do good works.
- For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together. – Romans 8:14-17 (NKJV)
Identity Statement: I am led by the Spirit of God, I do not have a spirit of bondage; I am a son (daughter) of God, I am a joint heir with Christ.
- That you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, 23 and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness. – Ephesians 4:22-24 (NKJV)
Identity Statement: I have the new man of righteousness and holiness; I have put on this new man.
- Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God. – Ephesians 2:19 (NKJV)
Therefore you are no longer outsiders (exiles, migrants, and aliens, excluded from the rights of citizens), but you now share citizenship with the saints (God’s own people, consecrated and set apart for Himself); and you belong to God’s [own] household. – Ephesians 2:19 (AMP)
Identity Statement: I am a citizen of the household of God.
- Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. – 2 Corinthians 2:14-15 (NKJV)
Identity Statement: I am the fragrance of Christ in the earth.
In July I did a teaching on ‘Understanding Your Identity.’ If you struggle in the area of identity, I encourage you to go listen to the teaching. You can listen to it now on my YouTube channel. (Subscribe to my channel to get notified of new videos).
Also, a few weeks ago my husband preached a sermon on ‘The Blueprint of Man: Who Am I?’ where he talked about knowing our identity in Christ. You can watch the message on our ministry YouTube channel here. (Subscribe to our ministry YouTube channel to get notified of new videos).